Macedonia murders case: Serious progress, no suspectsSource: Tanjug
SKOPJE -- Macedonian Interior Minister Gordana Jankulovska says that "serious progress" has been made in the investigation into the killings of five Macedonian men.
However, the police still had not identified any suspects, she revealed.
More than 100 persons were interviewed "and the perpetrators' profile has been defined", she told reporters on Sunday.
"Still, we do not like to come out with any details because we need time to check material evidence from the field, and also because of the complexity of some chemical analyses that take a certain amount of time," Jankulovska was quoted as saying.
The minister also said that forensic examinations suggested that a car found some ten kilometers from the murder scene in the village of Smiljkovci was previously present at the scene.
"We can say that thanks to the tip offs from the citizens, we ruled out some scenarios. One of the most unlikely ones was that the young men were witnesses of another crime and that this is why they were killed," she told a news conference in Skopje.
The bodies the victims - four young men aged 18 to 20, and a local 45-year-old villager - were discovered late on Thursday last week near an artificial lake in Smiljkovci. The murders "renewed inter-ethnic tensions", said reports, referring to relations between Macedonians and ethnic Albanians.
The Macedonia police announced on Saturday that the victims were shot and killed point blank from three different weapons.